Saturday, September 11, 2010

Tweets & Gamers

So last night, I came home from an interesting night out with a bunch of my gamer friends.  We had an interesting time at a sports bar.  I was tired but stopped to check my email and twitter before bed.

Most of the people I follow and who follow me on Twitter are gamers.  By gamers I mean people to play video games and tabletop RPG's.  Many of the people that I follow are also in the games industry - artists, programmers, designers, writers and other people who make games for a living.  There are also some college students who are working hard to break into the video game industry.   My twitter account is GamerGirl80, for those of you that don't know that already.

I saw a tweet from a user named GamerPolitics last night:

Researching for a story: high-profile gamers and celebs who game, do they get political and for what issues? Shout out if you know.

I've seen a lot of posts like this from game programming/design students.  Normally this kind of post means that someone is sitting infront of a blank MS Word document trying to drum up ideas for a research paper.

Being a big fan of Wil Wheaton and having been excited about all of his gaming activities at PAX this previous week, I couldn't help but throw out his name in hopes of inspiring some fun topics for the "research paper".  I didn't know that GamerPolitics represents a magazine or a gaming organization, ECA.

I threw out my tweet promoting Wil Wheaton as a great example of a Celebrity Gamer who uses his clout to promote positive ideas and then I went to bed.

@GamePolitics if you want to follow high profile gamers, I suggest WilW . Will Wheaton is A-list at game cons.

I didn't know that Wil Wheaton and ECA had some conflicting views in the past.  What ensued was a very aggressive conversation between the two. It sure looked likeGamerPolitics was picking a fight with Wil.  Here was GamePolitics reply to my tweet:


RT @gamergirl80: if you want to follow high profile gamers, I suggest @WilW. Ya, Wil is good, but what does he advocate for gamers/gaming?


Will Wheaton defended himself against a sarcastic tweeter.  The whole thing turned out to be a misunderstanding due to the way that text fails to communicate true intention.  Wil then felt so bad about getting upset that he apologized the next day - but he really didn't need to since he was just defending himself.

Wil's blog post on the whole thing:
http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbackup/2010/09/in-which-wil-goes-hulk-smash.html

I guess the moral of the story, if there is one, is that gamers take their views seriously.  We're a unique community of people from many different walks of life.  The main thing we have in common, we're all human.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget